Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Last Welsh Trig - party time!

Sagina nivalis Guest

Talking Last Welsh Trig - party time!

I'm down to my last 3 Welsh trig pillars. I'm planning to complete during the weekend of 2/3 August. Choice of Colva Hill / Red Hill / Plynlimon. It would be great to have some company - PM me if you can make it - with any date / hill preferences. I'm likely to be across for the whole weekend.

Rob

Congratulations on getting to the end (nearly!) - How many are there in Wales?

Unfortunately we won't be able to attend your "party" because, like so many geocachers, we will be attending the MEGA event in Harrogate that weekend. Let's just hope that the weather is good for everyone then...

Lucilla

Sagina nivalis Guest

Ah, not a very bright choice of date then! Thanks for the pointer.

I'm guessing there are a bit more than 3000 in England and about 1500 in each of Wales and Scotland; I ought to work it out, really. Just under 6100 surviving in OSGB-land anyway. Numerically not many English ones left, but a fair few have access issues so that'll be a while, if ever. Scotland has just one little problem - http://www.trigpointinguk.com/trigs/...ils.php?t=4620 - reckoned to be insoluble but that has been said before ;-)

Not everyone is going to the Mega event, so I wouldn't let that put you off! Being a bit of a trigpoint hunter myself (albeit a newbie) I can empathise with your excitement at conquering them all. I think we may be on our way to Cornwall that weekend although its not cast in stone yet. If it looks like we may be able to make a detour ... you never know. Its only a very very very slim chance though. Good luck with your mission, and fingers crossed for fine weather. The following weekend there is an event in The Wye Valley (which we are attending). You might find some willing companions there if you could reschedule.

Edited to add: if you can set it as an event you might just tempt a few more along just so they can get a smiley :-)
    Last edited by The Cache Hoppers; 8th July 2008 at 05:58 PM.

Sagina nivalis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Cache Hoppers View Post
    Not everyone is going to the Mega event, so I wouldn't let that put you off! Being a bit of a trigpoint hunter myself (albeit a newbie) I can empathise with your excitement at conquering them all. .......
    ..... Good luck with your mission, and fingers crossed for fine weather. The following weekend there is an event in The Wye Valley (which we are attending). You might find some willing companions there if you could reschedule.

Edited to add: if you can set it as an event you might just tempt a few more along just so they can get a smiley :-)
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have no idea how to set as an event - please tell me more!

As it happens, the following weekend 9/10 Aug has now become free. I get the impression that Sun 10th might fit with the Wye Valley event?

Rob

Have sent you an email telling you more.

Congratulations in advance Rob. I ought to get to Wales some day..

Sagina nivalis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by agentmancuso View Post
    Congratulations in advance Rob. I ought to get to Wales some day..
    All those Marilyns waiting for you, Bernie

Sagina nivalis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sagina nivalis View Post
    As it happens, the following weekend 9/10 Aug has now become free. I get the impression that Sun 10th might fit with the Wye Valley event?
    It's looking like Sun 10 Aug. To involve S6561 Red Hill (SO1550) and S5656 Colva Hill (SO1955), and a pub at Hundred House (SO1154) :cheers:. Details and order t.b.c.

Rob

Sagina nivalis Guest

LWT is looking like Red Hill Sunday p.m.

The Last Welsh Trigpoint - trigpointing/geocaching event - now LIVE!!!! :cheers: It has been set for Sunday 10 August, so people can travel on after the Wye Valley camping event if they wish. Lots more info here .

The Last Welsh Trigpoint - trigpointing/geocaching event - now LIVE!!!! :cheers: It has been set for Sunday 10 August, so people can travel on after the Wye Valley camping event if they wish. Lots more info here .
    That's pretty impressive!

Sagina nivalis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by agentmancuso View Post
    That's pretty impressive!
    Yes! I just sat back and watched it happen

I haven't been to the gym this week! I need to get back on that treadmill if I am gonna be climbing one of them there 'ills. Not the morning one cos I will be packing up the tent, so it will be the afternoon one - after beer and a roast beef lunch - hmmm, can you leave me in the beer garden please

Sagina nivalis Guest

it will be the afternoon one - after beer and a roast beef lunch - hmmm, can you leave me in the beer garden please
    You've got no chance

How high is that there 'ill anyway

Sagina nivalis Guest

How high is that there 'ill anyway
    Really tiny - trip over while doing up your bootlaces and you'd be at the summit Well, not very high anyway. 109m ascent.

Ah that's ok then Should be able to manage that after my Sunday lunch.

Just giving this one a gentle bump before I head off to the Wye Valley event. Sunday forecast looks good for a nice hill climb or two.

Sagina nivalis Guest

Arrow

Just giving this one a gentle bump before I head off to the Wye Valley event. Sunday forecast looks good for a nice hill climb or two.
    I'm sheltering from the rain today but heading for Cymru shortly to meet up with a couple of early arrivals. Then Pumlumon first thing tomorrow and on to the main Event. Weather still looking OK tomorrow. And the Balvenie single malt is packed

During the week I had a go at working out pillar totals by country. Not an exact science as they keep disappearing and being refound. But this is what I came up with, in terms of pillars surviving intact or with identifiable remains:

Isle of Man 15
    England 3285
    Wales 660
    Scotland 2158

I would have guessed Wales would have a bigger total. At present my Scottish to-do list (740) is still bigger than the entire Welsh total hmy: But only 47 left in England

hope you have all enjoyed yourselfs
    Dont blame your GPS.... Your the muppet at the controls!

Sagina nivalis Guest

Smile

Yes thanks - nice day despite some shower dodging: see log.

Yeahhhhh ....it was great fun - just back from hols and catching up on logging. Well done Rob

Pyoung1s Guest

Thumbs up

Fellow Trigpointers check events on these forums for the geocaching (and trigpointing!) event Take A Hike Adventure 1 - Lyke Wake Walk GC1FA91!

Great do, a privilege to be part of!