Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Free Maps for your Garmin

Default Free Maps for your Garmin

I've just seen this thread https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/in...owtopic=197872 in the "other forum" and talkytoaster has very kindly offered to share his maps compiled from openstreetmap, Studlyone is hosting them and the links are further down the thread, I uploaded easily using sendmap wich is free at http://cgpsmapper.com/buy.htm.
    Now I'm off to try it out (for those that don't know me well that fact that I managed to get them on my GPS without asking for help is a major accomplishment and means it must be easy)

The two map overlays mentioned above can be found here: http://www.ukgeocachers.co.uk/garminoverlays/index.php

There are two different versions, one with and one without contour lines. They are easy to install and the webpage has a list of GPSr that they have been tested on and work - so far. if anyone else uses them on another GPSr then please get in touch and I will update the list.

The plan at present ius to get the maps recompilled twice a month and I will post the latest maps on the page shown above.

It is very much a work in process and the beauty of the http://www.openstreetmap.org/ system is that anyone can edit/correct/adjust the maps on there. it is a global cummunity creating their own free to use maps. There are a number of pre-compiled maps on the openstreetmap website for other european countries if you are visiting abraod and don't want to but Garmin Topo maps.

I hope everyoen finds the masp usefull, they look great on my Colorado.
    "I Cache, therefore I am"

zwei ormers Guest

Hmm, the link's broken in the post above for the Garmin overlays.

zwei ormers Guest

FANTASTICO!!!!!:socool:
    The routing works on a vista HCX OK. There's a fair bit of road and footpath data missing over here, so I'll start contributing - going to reward Talky for all his work too!:cheers:

I've been using thse maps for a few months now and can say that they're really, really fab. Thay have transformed my colorado for me.

Well worth uploading if you don't have maps but do have a mappable GPS.

I've also got a bit obsessed trying to find unmarked footpaths - I wanted to contribute by uploading some routes of my own, but so far have failed to find any that need doing

I really want to upload these maps to my Colorado, but I'm a numpty when it comes to anything technical....

I was told (maybe unreliably, I dunno,) that the talky toaster maps are really hard to get onto the colorado....

Can anyone help me? Do I need to get an SD card or will they sit on the colorado themselves?
    Now doing small hills!
    Still blonde under the hair dye ;-)

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hazels View Post
    I really want to upload these maps to my Colorado, but I'm a numpty when it comes to anything technical....

I was told (maybe unreliably, I dunno,) that the talky toaster maps are really hard to get onto the colorado....

Can anyone help me? Do I need to get an SD card or will they sit on the colorado themselves?
    Ali put them straight onto her Colorado - no need for an SD card (apparently) and they've been working perfectly for a few months.
    Look and work good too - so I'll put them on the Oregon when I get it

As I recall, we had no problem putting them on either - just dragged them straight in......but I'll let Ali fill in the gaps in my memory when she's home from work.

uktim Guest

I took thus as a prompt to check out openstreetmap once again. It locates my postcode as being somewhere in Texas and hasn't got accurate enough road data to navigate from home to my local town.

I think I'll carry on paying for maps that I can trust

Quote Originally Posted by uktim View Post
    I took thus as a prompt to check out openstreetmap once again. It locates my postcode as being somewhere in Texas and hasn't got accurate enough road data to navigate from home to my local town.

I think I'll carry on paying for maps that I can trust
    Well get out there, upload some tracks and map your local roads, then you'll know that they're all correct.

uktim Guest

Quote Originally Posted by martybartfast View Post
    Well get out there, upload some tracks and map your local roads, then you'll know that they're all correct.
    Corrections that I made about 12 months ago have somehow been removed or lost. When you can see that happening in areas that you do know it's pretty hard to trust the maps to get you around in areas that you don't know

It may be great in some areas but knowing how bad it is around here, it appears that it's a bit of a lottery using it in unknown areas ;(

Quote Originally Posted by hazels View Post

Hi Hazel, it's dead easy.

I just downloaded the file I wanted from TalkyToasters webpage. Then you need to unzip the file, make sure it has the correct name (save it as GMAPSUPP.IMG). Then you just drag and drop it into the Garmin folder on the Colarado - it's almost as simple as loading a PQ

:socool:

Edited to add this link which tells you how to do it....

http://sites.google.com/site/talkyto...ee-uk-maps-faq
    Last edited by *mouse*; 16th September 2009 at 11:12 PM.

The name is no longer important on latest CO firmware, it will load *.img files in he GARMIN directory of the unit or SD card

Quote Originally Posted by rutson View Post
    The name is no longer important on latest CO firmware, it will load *.img files in he GARMIN directory of the unit or SD card
    Even better!

I am so chuffed with these maps - can't say enough good about them. Obviously there are still some gaps, but they're quickly being filled and the fact they're free is just awesome :socool:

Ali and Hazey,

If you want to use the full 3d maps with the routable bits, you will need an SD card. The internal memory on a CO is 384mb (unless you're fancy enough to have a 400 which has more). With the basemap taking up around 100mb, there's not much room left for the 260 odd mb of map.

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by The Other Stu View Post
    Ali and Hazey,

If you want to use the full 3d maps with the routable bits, you will need an SD card. The internal memory on a CO is 384mb (unless you're fancy enough to have a 400 which has more). With the basemap taking up around 100mb, there's not much room left for the 260 odd mb of map.

Stu
    That's worth knowing - thanks Stu.
    I've never used the routable one as I have my tomtom in the car.
    Presumably that means that the routable bits will wok ok if they're downloaded stright into an Oregon 550 unit?

Quote Originally Posted by *mouse* View Post
    Hi Hazel, it's dead easy.

it's almost as simple as loading a PQ
    OMG... I'm still scared incase I get it wrong and wreck my Colorado... but I'm caching somewhere new this weekend, and might just have to give them a go!!!
    Now doing small hills!
    Still blonde under the hair dye ;-)

I carry two chips around with me for my 60csx - Topo and talkytoasters.

Tend to use Talkytosters unless there are massive gaps in its database at the point I'm caching.

great stuff.
    Happy Caching

Gazooks

- Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age.