Although there are no formal Geocache agreements in place, you're welcome to place Geocaches on the Welsh Government Woodland Estate, which is managed by Natural Resources Wales on behalf of the Welsh Government. Here is the guidance that applies:
No Permits are required but we do ask you to follow the guidance and codes of conduct set out in the websites of the following organisations:
- Geocaching Association of Great Britain - guidelines are shown here
- Geocaching Wales - website is shown here
- Geocaching.com - website is shown here
• All caches should be accessible on foot.
• Please check maps and avoid placing caches in areas with special designations, such as Special Areas of Conservation (SACs), Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs), Scheduled Ancient Monuments (SAMs).
• It's good to place caches near our Visitor Centres and other recreation facilities, as we take special care when harvesting timber nearby and place notice of closures on the internet and on site when operations nearby will affect access.
Remember that woodlands are busy places - you may come across other groups undertaking events and activities, work sites and workers and vehicles during your visit. Please avoid all working areas and obey any safety signs and instructions. You must not enter any areas where access has been restricted.
If you have any queries about placing your cache safely or would like to discuss any aspect of using the Welsh Government Woodland Estate for Geocaching, please contact your local Forest District - details can be found on this website.
The Lle Geo-Portal provides a map of various land areas but doesn't give any information about ownership or management. When you open the link to the portal page click the Preview tab to view the map. Please note the map is often very slow to load. On the Download tab you can also download a KML file that will open in Google Earth. You can download Google Earth free for the PC as well as apps for Android and Apple devices.
Wales/All. Wales/North Wales. Wales/South Wales.
23rd Apr 2021.
Do you have any feedback about this agreement? Click here to submit feedback to the committee.